Sunday, February 26, 2012

Battle of the Coffee

During the school days I always start my morning off with a big cup of coffee. Since I make a horrible, vomit inducing pot at home, I always wait until I'm on campus to enjoy a hot (or cold) cup of caffeine. Since there are about a billion different coffee shops and kiosks around campus, I've tried dozens of different brews of coffee. While most cups of coffee I've tried tastes like water with a coffee bean dipped in it, Dunkin Donuts and the RP Cafe has the best tasting coffee I've had on campus thus far. Both have their perks and downfalls, however, if you're in dire need of a pick-me-up, both are great options.

Photo by: Maryem Abdulla

The main reason why I go to Dunkin Donuts is because it's familiar. I have known and loved the franchise for years, and even when they fail me, I always seem to come back for more. Although I like their coffee and delicious donuts, muffins, and sandwiches, it's not my absolute favorite. While I love their brew of coffee, they always seem to load it up with a ridiculous amount of sugar that will most likely stick me into a diabetic coma. Although this might not seem like a big deal, it becomes very annoying after a while, which is how I discovered RP Cafe.


Photo by: Maryem Abdulla

As I was walking to class one day, I was complaining in my head about my over-sugared coffee. After walking for what seemed like forever, I decided to take a shortcut through the "north star" of campus. As I was about to leave the building, I noticed a little cafe in the corner of the building. Needless to say, I was so excited that I bought a cup of coffee even though I already had a coffee in hand. Their coffee tastes almost exactly like the brew Dunkin Donuts has, except has a self serve sugar station so it's never too sugary. Even though the prices are almost identical, I enjoy the Cafe more than the franchise because of the friendly workers. I have yet to be served by anyone other than a super happy hipster, which always puts me into a great mood.

The one thing I love most about RP Cafe is that they offer punch cards. After finding this out, I immediately decided that this trumped all the good things about Dunkin Donuts. I mean, who doesn't love free coffee after buying nine?

Whether you decide to grab your coffee at the oh-so-famous Dunkin Donuts, or you decide to get a caffeine fix at a smaller business, like RP Cafe, have fun, drink up, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. If I could get an IV drip of RP coffee I'd be set for life.

    ReplyDelete